Whether it is an embarrassing spelling mistake, sending a mail without the attachment, or sending it to a different person altogether – most of us have sent an email we wish we could magically erase from the receiver’s inbox…before they see it.
How To Cancel Any Mail You Send On Gmail?
In fact, many of us have been through this unfortunate experience more than just once! Well, Google is known for its commitment to constantly improving users’ experiences. And with the official launch of Gmail’s “undo” feature last year, it has made thousands of users very happy.
Google’s “Undo” Feature
Gmail lets you cancel any mail that you have sent with just the click of a button – within the time limit of 30 seconds. All you need to do in order to benefit from this feature, is activate it. Here’s how:
- Sign into your Gmail account.
- Head to the upper-right corner of the window and click on the Gear icon.
- From the drop-down menu, click on “Settings”. You will then see an array of options. By default, you’ll land in the “General” tab.
- Scroll down the page to the 10th option labeled as “Undo Send:”
- Check (tick) the “Enable Undo Send” box.
- The default cancellation period is 10 seconds. But you can set it to 30, 20 or 5 seconds. I highly recommend 30 seconds since it’s the easiest.
- Then, scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the “Save Changes” button. Make sure do to this final step, or else the feature will remain inactive.
Don’t worry if you’re using another receiver’s mail with your Gmail account – this feature works with all Gmail programs. However, the “undo” option only shows us when you are using Gmail programs on your desktop – while using the mobile app, you will not be able to access this feature. But don’t worry, Google might soon make this possible even on mobile phones! We will post an update as soon as we find out.
Many More Gmail Settings You Can Try…
Google provides you with a whole range of other settings that you can easily do. For example, you can go to the “Themes” tab and transform the look of your inbox. You can change your profile picture, add a signature to your mail, change the font of your mails, choose what type of notifications to receive, activate keyboard shortcuts, and do so much more. Feel free to explore all the tabs in your Settings. To try out each setting, activate it and then click on the “Save Changes” button.
I was extremely delighted when I found out about Gmail’s “Undo” feature. It has saved me a whole lot of embarrassment, regret, frustration and worry caused by email blunders! So, go ahead and follow this simple guide in order to activate Gmail’s amazing feature. You can also play around with the various other settings that I have mentioned earlier in this blog post. And if you have any questions, feel free to just post them in the comments section. As always, I am glad to answer them.