This article is all about the Pros and Cons and How to install CyanogenMod on your Motorola phones. Coming straight to the point, CyanogenMod is an Android OS which is similar to Google’s stock Android but gives tons of features and customisation which stock android doesn’t. There are way more ROMs available in the Android Market and CyanogenMod is just one of them.
Pros of Updating To CyanogenMod.
Most obvious reasons to Install CyanogenMod are:-
- Remove unwanted programs (“bloatware”) installed by your carrier
- Receive more frequent security updates
- Better performance
- Extra features and customization
Cons of Updating to CyanogenMod.
Common points to be noted before Installing CyanogenMod are
- Updates may contain bugs
- Will void warranty
How to Install CyanogenMod on Motorola Phones?
Things that you should have before you start with the installation:-
- You should have the latest Motorola drivers installed on your PC – Motorola Driver
- Download Adb and Fastboot – Click Here
- Download latest .img file of TWRP recovery suitable for your device – Click Here
- Download the GApps according to your interest and which is suitable for your OS – Click Here
- Download the latest nightly of CyanogenMod suitable for your device. Select your device from the list of devices mentioned on the website – Click Here
Note: Modifying/Replacing your device’s software will void your device’s warranty, lead to data loss, privacy loss, security breaches, or other damage, and therefore must be done at your own risk. No one affiliated with the CyanogenMod project and this website is responsible for your actions. Good luck.
Let’s Get Started Now,
First and the Most Important Step is Unlocking the Bootloader.
Warning: Unlocking the bootloader will automatically wipe all device data. Take a backup of all the required data.
Steps to Follow:
- Go to Settings then About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times. Go back and you’ll find a Developers option. Tap on the Developers Option and Enable USB Debugging mode
- Extract the downloaded (.zip) file and Install Adb and Fastboot on your PC
- Next up, switch off your device. After it’s been switched off put it in Fastboot Mode. To put your Phone in Fastboot Mode, Press Power Key + Volume Down Key simultaneously for a few second and let it go
- Connect your device to PC via USB wire
- Open the Fastboot folder which you downloaded and hold Shift + Right Click and click on “Open command window here”
- As the Command Window opens type “Fastboot Devices” and hit enter. There a 10 digit key consisting of alphabets and numbers will appear if all the drivers are installed correctly. If the 10 digit key appears, it means that the device is detected
- In the next command type “fastboot oem get_unlock_data” and hit Enter
- A bunch of keys will appear as result of your command. For eg. the keys in the yellow mark in the screenshot
- Mark those keys with the help of Mouse and copy them by pressing ctrl+c and then paste them in Notepad. Make sure you bring them in a single line
- Next, log in to Motorola by creating a Motorola ID or Using your Gmail ID – Click Here
- After Logging In, copy the keys from Notepad in the Step No.6 and click on “Can my device be unlocked?”
- If Motorola verifies, scroll down and click “I Agree” and press “Request Unlock Key”
- Go on and check your Email Inbox, there you will find the mail by Motorola in which they will send the Unlock Code. Go on and copy-paste that code in Notepad
- Come again to the Adb and Fastboot command window and type fastboot OEM unlock *copy the unlock code received in Email* hit enter. It will say “unlock completed! Wait to reboot”
- With this you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device
Secondly you’ll have to flash TWRP recovery on your device and Install CyanogenMod.
- Connect your phone to the PC via USB wire.
- Copy-Paste the TWRP file which you downloaded in the Adb Fastboot folder on your PC.
Copy the GApps and CyanogenMod files in the Internal storage of your Device.
- Now switch off your device and put it in the bootloader mode.
- Open Command Prompt in the same window by pressing
Shift + Right Click and Clicking “Open command window here”
- In the command window type “Fastboot Devices” and hit enter. A 10 digit key would appear. It confirms that your device has been detected.
- Next, type in “Fastboot flash recovery *the name of the TWRP file* and hit Enter key.
* Note the name of the file should be ending with “.img”
- Now go to your phone and Press the Volume Down key until the highlighting is on “Recovery” option and then press Volume Up to select it.
Third and the final step is to Install CyanogenMod.
- Go into the bootloader mode and get in Recovery mode. Volume Down + Volume Up
- Now click on Wipe – Advance Wipe – Dalvik cache, Data, Cache, System and now Swipe to Wipe
- Now go back to the Main menu – Install – CyanogenMod file and Swipe to Confirm Flash
- After it’s done click on Wipe Cache/Dalvik and Swipe to wipe
- Go back to the Main menu – Install – Gapps file and Swipe to Confirm Flash
- After it’s done click on Wipe Cache/Dalvik and Swipe to Wipe and after that is done press “Back” and the press “Reboot System.” It will take around 15-20 mins so don’t panic about it getting stuck in bootloop
- After it’s done just set it up and you’re done
I hope this article helps you to install CyanogenMod for Motorola Phones with ease. Do try it and if you face any difficulty then do let me know by commenting.